AIT Govt House reporter shot, robbed in Bayelsa

Nigeria Police
Nigeria Police

Unknown gunmen have shot a reporter with the African Independent Television (AIT), Miss Owe Patience, in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

The victim was reportedly shot at close range along Edepie area by her assailants, who dispossessed her of her mobile phones, cash and other valuables.

Owei, who covers the state Government House, was attacked at about 10.30pm on Friday while returning home from a church service organised by the Living Faith church also known as Winners Chapel, Shilloh 2017.

It was learnt that the suspected armed robbers shot her in the back after collecting her phones and handbag, leaving her in the pool of her blood.

It was gathered that she was unconscious and in a critical condition.

Some journalists and members of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), who visited her at the State Government House hospital, where she was rushed for treatment lamented her condition saying she could not talk.

A Good Samaritan, who rushed her to the hospital, narrated how the journalist was shot.

The source, who identified himself as Bokoru said: “Last night (Friday night) at about 10:40pm, I had an urgent call from James Baridi a few metres from my house. When I went it was the fresh scene of a rather violent robbery.

“A girl I would later identity as an AIT staff was lying half-conscious in a pool of her blood. Witnesses said it was a lone gunman who had trailed her from Shiloh.

“Just in front of her house he showed the gun, took her phone, jewelry and cash. But the animal didn’t end there. He took steps backwards and shot her at close range even as she gave him no problems.

Her landlady, James and I rushed her to Tobis Hospital at Akenfa. To our surprise animals were the ones administering that place. They would not save her life except we provide a police report and a wholesome amount.

“We took her to another hospital at Igbogene, the people here were humans and they commenced treatment instantly including fresh pounds of blood.

By morning we realized we needed to contact her family, but how? She lives alone and her phones were gone. In the area no one knows much about her except that she’s a journalist for AIT. We also reported the matter to the Akenfa police division

“For a start, I called NUJ Bayelsa scribe Ebiowei Lawal who called her office. Its been a very long day. Patience Owe will make it and we have God to thank. Our prayers will remain with her”.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Asinim Butswat, confirmed the development and said the police were investigating the incidents.

Share this story