Burnley come from behind to beat Leicester City 2-1

Westwood scores for Burnley
Westwood scores for Burnley

Nick Pope saved a Jamie Vardy penalty before Ashley Westwood’s emphatic finish saw Burnley come from behind to beat Champions League-chasing Leicester 2-1.

Sean Dyche’s men looked bound for a fifth straight league defeat after Burnley-born Harvey Barnes rewarded Leicester’s early endeavours in the 34th minute, with the Foxes well on top.

Chris Wood got Burnley level early in the second half, but they needed Pope to save Vardy’s 68th-minute penalty before Westwood hammered home the winner 11 minutes from time.

Burnley’s first league win since December 21 lifted them five points clear of the drop zone, while Leicester missed the chance to move level with second-placed Manchester City.



Few would have predicted the late heroics from Burnley during a first half in which they looked second best in virtually every department.

Ben Chilwell was left out of the squad, with manager Brendan Rodgers stating it was to rest him amid rumours of a move to Chelsea, but the Foxes did not seem to miss him early on.

The visitors, stung by last week’s home defeat to Southampton, looked sharper and faster, always threatening to get in behind Burnley’s defence with the running of Barnes and Vardy.

Vardy rounded Pope in the 13th minute but with the angle against him pulled the ball back for James Maddison who could not control it.

In contrast, Burnley were full of commitment but looked desperately short of ideas going forward.

There were grumbles from the home stands when Jeff Hendrick impressively beat Christian Fuchs to create space, only to dawdle on the ball until Leicester’s defenders recovered their ground.

Countless balls were pumped into Wood and Jay Rodriguez – the latter restored to the line-up after illness – but Jonny Evans and Caglar Soyuncu marshalled the front pair well, while Dwight McNeil shuffled from one wing to the other but struggled to get on the ball.

Barnes and Maddison both shot straight at Pope for Leicester as the Foxes pushed forward, and Rodgers’ side had the perfect chance to go back in front when Mee fouled Maddison in the area, only to see Pope save Vardy’s penalty.

Pope denied Vardy again in the 78th minute after he ran onto a neat pass from substitute Kelechi Iheanacho, and Burnley completed the turnaround moments later.

Neat play created space for Taylor on the left, and though his cross was blocked, the ball fell for Westwood who drilled the ball beyond Schmeichel.

Share this story