Manchester City player attack Jose Mourinho with milk and water

Man City and Man Utd players clash
Man City and Man Utd players clash

Jose Mourinho was involved in a dressing-room clash with Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson after Manchester United’s derby defeat.

The United boss is said to have had milk and water thrown at him as tempers flared following his side’s 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford, but this claim is refuted by City chiefs.

Sources claim Mourinho went to the door of the away dressing-room to ask City’s players to tone down their jubilant celebrations.

City’s Brazilian keeper Ederson and Mourinho are then said to have shouted at each other in Portuguese before the situation was defused.

Players clash during the game
Players clash during the game

Sources who witnessed the altercation said there was a lot of shouting and a rush of people towards the door of the away dressing-room when the episode occurred, with staff from both sides involved.

United striker Romelu Lukaku was also said to be involved in the incident, along with goalkeeping coach Silvino Louro.

Up to 20 people became embroiled in the fracas which occurred in the narrow tunnel outside the away dressing-room.

City sources confirmed their coach Mikel Arteta suffered a cut above his eye.

A police officer is stationed outside the dressing-rooms on matchdays and it is understood police and stewards intervened to break up the melee.

The episode echoed the Battle of Buffet at Old Trafford back in 2004, when Sir Alex Ferguson was pelted with pizza following United’s 2-0 win over Arsenal, which ended the Gunners’ 49-match unbeaten run.

Ederson is said to have thrown milk and water at Mourinho
Ederson is said to have thrown milk and water at Mourinho

City’s win at Old Trafford meant they have extended their lead over their neighbours in the Premier League to 11 points, to leave the Red Devils’ title challenge in jeopardy.

David Silva opened the scoring for Pep Guardiola’s side in the 43rd minute, with Marcus Rashford pulling a goal back in first-half stoppage time.

Nicolas Otamendi poked home the winning goal nine minutes after the break to hand Guardiola another win over his managerial adversary.

Share this story

Post your comments below