Fate of student who killed mate to be determined by court – Police

Nigeria Police
Nigeria Police

The fate of a pupil of Ado Grammar School, Ado-Ekiti, in Ekiti State, who allegedly stabbed his colleague to death during a juju contest last Thurday, will be determined by the judiciary, the police have said.

The suspect, Timilehin Kehinde, allegedly stabbed the victim, Favour Matthew, to death while testing a charm that can prevent penetration of knife, after school hours.

The victim was confirmed dead at the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital (EKSUTH) where he was taken to.

Timilehin, 16, is being detained at the Criminal Investigation

Department (SCID), Police Headquarters, Ado-Ekiti.

Police spokesman Caleb Ikechukwu said the fate of Timilehin would be determined by the judiciary after the police might have concluded investigation.

Ikechukwu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), said yesterday that the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) would determine whether the suspect would be prosecuted or taken to the Juvenile Correction Centre for detention.

He said: “I want to say that the suspect’s fate will be determined by DPP, because being a minor, a lot of things will have to be taken into consideration.

“But as for us in the police, we are investigating the matter to establish whether it was a case of murder or manslaughter.

Read This:  Justice Kolawole's callous ruling on El-Zakzaky must be probed

“We are investigating the elements of the case, because by law, if you are less than 18, there must be special consideration for any offence committed.

“But we also have a Juvenile Correction Centre. So the DPP will study the outcome of our investigation and come up with the best alternative that will be in line with the law.”

The Nation gathered that the first term of the 2018/19 academic year will end on December 17 and the pupils had already finished examinations before the incident occurred.

It was revealed that the government would not punish any teacher over the killing, since it happened after the school had closed.

A source said: “The school is to be shut, but the teachers will be working, because the victim’s family threatened that 30 pupils would be killed in a reprisal.

“It is not in any way safe for us to ask pupils to return to school now. They had finished their examinations before the incident happened

“Even if they resume on Monday (today), we shall ask them to go back in the interest of security,” he said.

Share this story