Hotel grading and classification are both determining the standard of hotel offering that is available at a destination of choice and the ability to purchase hotel accommodation that meets that expectation on time. It is a vital requirement for both the business and the leisure tourists. The focus of grading and classifying hotels is to inform consumers on how to recognize quality, differentiate all levels of facilities and services, and offers greater information and transparency to the consumers.
Amongst other things, it is beneficial to the tourists, the hotels and the tourism industry. Let’s take a look at the benefit for each category.
Benefits to Tourists
- It provides assurance to both the local and the international tourists that an establishment has been assessed and approved by an independent 3rd party.
- It gives a reliable indication of expected services and offerings.
- It helps consumers to find hotels of a standard they require.
- Benefits to Hotels
- It allows for design and target of training activities.
- It demonstrates commitment to quality.
- It’s an important marketing tool in both local and international economies.
- Independent assessment of offered services.
- Key business differentiator as the quality of service offered is a determinant of consumer choice.
Benefits to Tourism Industry
- Allows for standard to be put in place.
- Assists travel agents to understand the product and match supply and demand.
- It encourages competition amongst establishments.
- It leads to overall improved service and reliability within the industry.
- It allows for monitoring of hotel inventory and accommodation standards.