The abductors of the two catholic priests kidnapped on Friday in Ondo State have demanded the sum of N100m before they could be set free, SaharaReporters has learnt.
Rev. Fr. Felix Efobi and Rev. Fr. Josephat Nweke of Catholic Diocese of Awka, Anambra State, were both kidnapped on the Owo-Benin Road in Ose Local Council Area of the state.
The two priest were abducted on their way to a wedding ceremony at the Igbatoro area of Akure where they were waylaid and dragged into the bush by the kidnappers.
Rev Fr Leo Aregbesola, Director of Media and Communications of the Ondo Catholic Diocese, who had earlier confirmed the abduction of the two priest on Sunday, said the abductors had reached out to the family.
He said, “The abductors have confirmed that the two priests are with them but they are demanding the sum of N100m as ransom from their families.”
He added that they have resulted in prayers to ensure the safe release of the priests from the den of the kidnappers.
However, Femi Joseph, spokesperson for the police in Ondo State, said the Commissioner of Police had directed detectives from the command to swing into action and rescue the two priest from the hands of the kidnappers.