New Zealand: Accident involving fleeing driver leads to motorway closure

New Zealand
New Zealand
Share this post:

The NZ Transport Agency is warning of signifcant delays after a head-on collision involving a fleeing driver in a stolen car on Auckland’s southern motorway.

A “serious crash” on Thursday morning has caused all southbound lanes near the Highbrook Dr off-ramp to be blocked.

“Avoid the area if possible or be prepared for long delays. More to come when known. Avoid rubbernecking,” the NZTA tweeted at 10:05am.

At 10:25am, the NZTA said the southern motorway was closed at the Princes St off-ramp.

A statement from NZTA then said that the lanes had been closed due to a “head-on collision involving a fleeing driver”.

“Motorists are advised to leave the motorway at Princes Street, turn right on Frank Grey Place, right onto Princes St, left at Atkinson St to Great South Rd, left on to East Tamaki Rd, right on to SH1.”

Police also released a statement saying one of the vehicles was stolen and being monitored at a distance by the Police Eagle helicopter when it crashed into a member of the public head-on.

Police vehicles were not pursuing the car at the time.

Read This:  New Zealand doctors to go on strike

It’s not clear how long the motorway will be closed, NZTA says. The Serious Crash Unit is examining the scene.

There is no information available about the nature of any injuries.

Traffic cameras from the scene show major congestion on the southbound lanes. Northbound traffic should also expect delays.

Footage from the scene obtained by Newshub shows multiple involved, with one facing towards traffic. Police appear to be examining the scene.

Share this post:

Post your comments below

Loading...