Nigerian student kills mother in US, says ‘I can’t remember doing it’

Eyitoluwa Olayeye
Eyitoluwa Olayeye

A 20-year-old student of University Texas, Eyitoluwa Olayeye, has been arrested for allegedly strangling his 48-year-old mother, Kehinde Olayeye.

The incident, however, has become controversial, since the suspect told investigators that he couldn’t recollect killing his mother.

Medical examiner, who conducted a post mortem examination on Kehinde, disclosed that the woman suffered deep skull hemorrhaging, hemorrhaging around the neck, lacerations to the inner mouth, petechial hemorrhaging and signs of strangulation.

Eyitoluwa was arrested and charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury. He also faces a $1 million bond.

According to news, the suspect was believed to have murdered his mother in a downtown Austin hotel after allegedly blacking out.

The police were said to have responded to a distress call on November 6, at about 4:44am. The call came from a holiday Inn located in downtown Austin.

According to distress call, someone was screaming in one of the hotel rooms and sounds of fighting could be heard.

The victim’s sister said they received another call from Eyitoluwa’s friends saying he had been taken to the hospital by ATCEMS for a psych evaluation. She said at this point the two decided to fly to Austin to check on Eyitoluwa. At the airport, they received a call from doctors at Dell Seton Medical Center asking if their family had a history of mental illness, to which they said no.

Eyitoluwa’s friends called his mother and aunt again to tell them he had been discharged from the hospital. They brought Eyitoluwa to their apartment where they say he began telling them he wanted to leave school.

Eyitoluwa’s aunt said when they arrived at the apartment her nephew seemed happy to see them. She said they stayed there for a while before the three of them decided to check into a hotel downtown. She said Eyitoluwa and his mother got a room together and she got one by herself. She told police the three of them were hanging out together in Eyitoluwa’s room before she decided to go to sleep.

Read This:  4 arrested for murder of taxi driver in Benin

Eyitoluwa’s aunt said he told them God had given him a purpose. He said the hospital was trying to hold him for a mental issue but he told them what they wanted to hear so he could leave.

“The hotel security guard told investigators he was doing his rounds when, at about 4:15 a.m., when he heard loud shouting coming from a room. He said when he banged on the door telling the occupants to quiet down, he got no response but began to also hear sounds of a struggle,” noted news

In an interview with police, Eyitoluwa said after class on Tuesday he went to the UT tower to pray. He said he remembers praying but the next thing he knew he was in an ambulance headed to the hospital. He said doctors asked him if he was diagnosed as bipolar or manic which he told them no.

Eyitoluwa said after being discharged from the hospital he was taken to a friend’s apartment. There he said his mother and aunt arrived and took him to a hotel downtown. He corroborated his aunt’s testimony, saying the three of them hung out in his room before his aunt went to sleep. He said after she left he went to the bathroom and got into bed. He told police he remembers his mother standing over him praying, and the next thing he knew he was in the back of a police cruiser.

According to the police affidavit, when told his mother was dead, Eyitoluwa said he must have been the one who killed her since no one else was in the room. He said he did not have a reason to kill his mother.

Share this story

Post your comments below